Monday, June 2, 2014

It's Monday!

I'm joining Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers in sharing my reading this week.  Head on over to their blogs to see what others are reading and link up your own post!


It's my first Monday of summer break!  I'm excited to get back into the blogging groove.  I started this blog last summer, but most of my school year posts came during breaks from school.  I've had a great start to my summer reading, I was in a bit of a slump at the end of the year, but that's pretty normal.  It's a busy time!  

Here's what I've read in the past week:

Picture Books

Paul Meets Bernadette

This was a cute book about opening your mind to new things and using your imagination.  Sometimes you need to meet someone who gives you an extra push.

Extraordinary Jane

I love a great dog character!  This would be a great book to use when talking about accepting yourself the way you are and growing into your own skin.

Middle Grade

All of these books were amazing!

Revolution

If you loved Countdown, you've got to read this new one by Deborah Wiles.  I reviewed it here.

The Secret Hum of a Daisy

Grace is an awesome character.  I've been so impressed with all the main characters I've read recently.  I've got a review scheduled for tomorrow for this book.

The Spy Catchers of Maple Hill

Another awesome main character.  This would also pair well with Countdown by Deborah Wiles.  I think it is a tricky time in history for middle grade readers to understand, but Megan Frazer Blakemore does a good job making it accessible to kids and showing the fear that people were feeling in the early days of the Cold War with Russia.  Plus Hazel is hilarious.

Young Adult

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)

This was the first Stephanie Perkins book I've read and I've already requested the other two books in this series at the library.  I love books set in Paris!

Have you read any of these books?  I'd love to hear what you think!

3 comments:

  1. All three of your middle grade books are on my list - now I just need to get to a bookstore! Looking forward to reading your review for The Secret Hum of a Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading my first Stephanie Perkins right now--Lola and the Boy Next Door. I pretty much never read teen romance, so this book is a real stretch for me, but I am liking it pretty well. I'm very eager to read both of the picture books you feature but my library doesn't have them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am envious - I really want to read all three of these middle grade novels. I read and loved Countdown this Spring. Kind of feel that Deborah Wiles can do no wrong.

    ReplyDelete